Workshop-Series "Displacement, Immobility and Human Rights" 2021
May 27 – July 15, 2021
As part of the FFVT project, the CHREN is hosting a two-day online workshop series on "Displacement, Immobility and Human Rights." The dates are Thursday, May 27 and Thursday, July 1 or 15 (the latter to be announced here). The main working language of the first panel will be German, the remaining panels will be held in English.
On May 27, international experts from politics, academia and practice will discuss immobility on the move due to Covid-19-induced delays in resettlement and family reunification as well as the situation at the EU external borders in the Western Balkans. This will be followed by a screening of the short film "Waiting" as part of an academic-artistic intervention. Assessing the recent allegations against the European Border and Coast Guard Agency, the second workshop day focuses on the results of the European Parliament's "Frontex Scrutiny Working Group". Depending on the publication date of its report, this panel will take place either on July 1 or July 15.
Participation is open and free of charge, no prior registration is required.
1:00pm-3:00pm: Panel 1: „Immobilität durch Verzögerungen in Resettlement und Familiennachzug“ (in German)
- Ulrich Weinbrenner, BMI
- Natalie Welfens, University of Amsterdam
- Katharina Mayr, DCV
- Jannes Jacobsen, FU Berlin
Moderation: Petra Bendel
4:00pm-5:30pm: Panel 2: “Stuck on the Western Balkans: Ethnicity, Immobility and Violence at the Border”
- Dženeta Karabegović, University of Salzburg
- Antonia Pindulić, Center for Peace Studies, Zagreb
- Elvir Ibrahimi, activist, Velika Kladuša
- Nikola Kovačević, human rights lawyer, Union University, Belgrade
Moderation: Lorenz Wiese
6:00pm-7:30pm: Intervention on “Stolen Time and the Weight of Waiting” (Short film screening and discussion with Prof Shahram Khosravi, Stockholm University)
Thursday 1.7.21 or* Thursday 15.7.21
2:00pm-4:00pm: Panel 3: “Discussing the EP Frontex Scrutiny Working Group’s Report”
- Tineke Strik, MEP, Greens/EFA
- Lena Düpont, MEP, EPP
- Stefan Keßler, Frontex Consultative Forum on Fundamental Rights
- Patrik Engström, Frontex Management Board, Swedish Police
- Matthias Oel / Jörg Wojahn, European Commission
- Bernd Kasparek, Horizon2020-Projekt RESPOND
Moderation: Petra Bendel
*depending on when the report of the EP Frontex Scrutiny Working Group will be published – the final date of Panel 3 will be announced here.
Participation links (no registration required):
- Part 1 on 27.5.21: https://fau.zoom.us/j/69045152403
- Part 2 on 1.7. or 15.7.21.: https://fau.zoom.us/j/65325391792
This workshop is hosted by the CHREN in the framework of the FFVT project, local cooperation partners being the Human Rights Centre Nürnberg (NMRZ) as well as the Friedrich-Alexander-University's Institute of Political Science.